incubator-general mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <daniel.k...@iona.com>
Subject Re: Policy on Initial Committership
Date Sun, 01 Oct 2006 20:16:30 GMT

Justin,

On Sunday October 01 2006 3:22 pm, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> We've seen an example of this with Celtixfire.  So far, we're waiting for
> an explanation (as those discussions did not occur in a place where the
> Incubator PMC could provide any oversight), but the aggrieved parties
> believe they have been barred access to a project they felt they
> contributed to.

That's not it.   The issue is they have been barred access to a project they
have only expressed interest in contributed to.   They have not yet
contributed anything (no code, no patches, little to no communication on the
dev list, etc...).   That is why the CXF mentors decided it was
in-appropriate to give them commit access.   There name was on the initial
proposal, but after two months, there was still no contributions.  Those
individuals are basically stating that since there name was on the proposal,
that is enough to get the commit rights.

Basically, Jason and the other mentors thought the initial commiters should
actually be those who contribute/commit stuff.   Those who don't meet that
barrier haven't earned the commit rights, so why should they have commit
rights?

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer