incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: Policy on Initial Committership
Date Fri, 06 Oct 2006 20:00:47 GMT

On 6 Oct 06, at 9:38 AM 6 Oct 06, Cliff Schmidt wrote:

> On 10/6/06, Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org> wrote:
>> If the Proposer controls the Proposal (and not stick it on a
>> freely editable
>> Wiki), then isn't it very straight forward?
>
> +1, although I think a Wiki still *should* work if the established
> etiquette was not to make edits to someone else's proposal
>
>> You feel excluded (I have); Convince the Proposor that you belong.
>
> +1
>
>> You feel "piling on" is happening; Ask the Proposer to qualify the
>> selection
>> criteria, and have a dialog if you find it "inappropriate".
>
> +1, and the Champion should be the first one to bring up this topic
> with the proposed initial committers, before the proposal even shows
> up at Apache.

My apologies, I simply assumed the right thing would be done. And if
I didn't catch it then possibly other Apache members, or Board
members that might have been involved with the proposal. The first
project that I mentored was OpenEJB and David Blevins put this
process together without really having to ask anyone and I think it's
really the way it should be done:

---
As far as how we came up with the commit list, it's actually pretty
neat.  For the proposal, I added everyone who had commit.  For the
actual giving commit, I was much more cautious.  I created a status
file and gave people basically two months to add their name.  I did
this for two reasons

1.  filters the completely inactive and proves at least some level of
activity (you have to at least read the list and update svn)
2.  a formal acknowledgment that you understand and agree with our
moving to apache and want to participate

We ended up with a smaller list of committers, but actually got some
old committers active again, so that was a big plus.
---

I think this is the best way to find the initial list of committers
and David should be commended for this as he really is abiding by how
things are supposed to be done around here.

So no, I didn't say anything because I wasn't looking for people with
zero commits or people who "contributed to discussions". Definitely
something in the future to distinguish between actual committers, as
defined by every project that operates here, versus people who are
interested in contributing in the future. Apparently this is not
clear, even for some members at Apache, so it should be clarified in
future proposals. Live and learn.

Jason.