incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Martin Cooper" <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Policy on Initial Committership
Date Sun, 01 Oct 2006 19:52:00 GMT
On 10/1/06, Mads Toftum <mads@toftum.dk> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 01, 2006 at 11:32:44AM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> > -1.  I think your response is extremely misguided.  In this situation,
> we
> > would accept code without allowing the people who contributed it further
> > access: that is completely unfair.
> >
> > If we do not accept the people, we don't accept the code.  -- justin
>
> So are you suggesting we boot out a project like xxxxxxx? or are
> you happy with incubator projects being fully open for companies
> stacking their employees in to "own" a project?
> I for one find it quite worrying that it is entirely possible to list
> something like 10 or 15 of your employees on a proposal and sidestep the
> whole meritocracy issue.

I do too. And with the number of projects coming in with sizeable numbers of
committers these days, I wonder how long it will be before the committers
coming in this way will outnumber those whose committership is based on (ASF
earned) merit. It seems to me that this could change the fundamental nature
of the ASF.

--
Martin Cooper

vh