incubator-general mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Problem with commit rights on Celtixfire
Date Sat, 30 Sep 2006 07:57:50 GMT
> Hi Jim,
>
> Can you please explain what the criteria was for removing people from
> the comitter list? Can you also detail who was removed? Can you also
> explain why this hasn't been communicated to everyone on the dev list so
> far? And why I have only heard about the final decision third hand from
> this email and an offhand mention in Bo's email? I am OK with the PMC's
> authority as thats what I signed up for at Apache, but I feel that if
> they make such an important decision as this they should at least
> communicate the above.

setting aside the particulars, this worries me from a process perspective.

the initial list of committers was elected by the incubator PMC as
part of the approval process. IMO the incubator PMC cannot provide
oversight if we delegate power to the PPMCs to change their terms of
reference without a binding decision.

i would expect any decision made about varying the initial comitters
list to appear in the private list of the podling together with at
least 3 +1's binding on apache (from incubator PMC members). i've
searched the lists and cannot find such a VOTE nor even any
discussion.

it's important that apache has records of all decisions taken.

if the matter is so delicate that the PPMC list is not private enough,
i would hope that the mentors would raise this on the incubator PMC
list. if this is not confidential enough then i would hope that the
mentors contact the incubator chair personally.

- robert