incubator-general mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: what are required for contributing to release management
Date Wed, 27 Sep 2006 16:55:05 GMT
On 9/27/06, Leo Simons <mail@leosimons.com> wrote:
> On Sep 27, 2006, at 3:10 PM, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> <snips throughout/>
> > it is very rare for a non-committer to act as release manager.
>
> Yeah, I can't really remember ever seeing that.

i was involved with something reasonable similar a year or two ago.
fortunately, the developer was good enough to be elected committer
before they'd finished the (extensive) preparatory work required.

<snip>

> > however, a PPMC is a
> > little different. the PPMC takes a while to bootstrap and it may make
> > little sense to wait until it has.
>
> I suspect it *does* make sense to bootstrap a PPMC before that PPMC
> votes on a release. If you're not bootstrapped you shouldn't be doing
> anything else. Can't quite understand what you're thinking of here.

thinking about whether there's a need to wait to release until the
PPMC is fully formed and representation of the podling committers.

PPMCs are typically filled up relatively late in the process - towards
graduation. (whether this is a good idea, i'm not sure.) if there are
just mentors on the PPMC then i see no benefit in waiting until the
PPMC is composed of a representation cross-section of committers
before creating a release.

- robert