incubator-general mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] OFBiz Test Snapshot Release: 4.0.0 TS3
Date Tue, 26 Sep 2006 19:59:04 GMT
On 9/26/06, David E Jones <jonesde@undersunconsulting.com> wrote:

> On Sep 25, 2006, at 10:56 PM, robert burrell donkin wrote:
>
> > (FYI a source distribution is required but i'm assume that you know
> > how to svn export)
>
> Do you mean a separate source distribution is needed?

many would argue that for open source, the source distribution is the
release: binaries are just for convenience :-)

here are a couple of pragmatic (as well as the philosophical) reasons
to issue source distributions:

1 downstream repackagers prefer to work from a pure source
distribution. typically, they will take the source distribution and
apply patches then build according to their system and then package.
helping downstream distributors helps acceptance of the project.

2 source distributions encourage developers. new developers are needed
to keep apache projects healthy.

> In the past, as with this test snapshot, we have just included the
> source and binary in the same archive. This has suited us well as
> probably 70-80% of ofbiz is not compiled, ie script, configuration,
> etc files.

s binary distribution is any distribution that is not just a source
export. it's not uncommon for binary distributions from apache to
contain source. so, that sounds fine for your binary distribution.

- robert