incubator-general mailing list archives

From David Ferrucci <ferru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] accept UIMA as a podling
Date Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:12:12 GMT
Hi,

When we requested OASIS to set up a Technical Committee chartered to
develop a platform-independent specification for text and multi-modal
analysis, we specified that it be set up under the "RF on Limited Terms"
mode of the OASIS IP Policy.  "RF" means Royalty Free, and the Limited
Terms means companies that are working with us on the Technical Committee
are restricted in adding additional terms.

These are the most liberal terms and make any Essential Claims available
to ALL and ROYALTY FREE.

For the details please refer to:

- http://www.oasis-open.org/who/ipr/ipr_faq.php
- http://www.oasis-open.org/who/intellectualproperty.php

Ultimately of course, there is always a risk that someone in the world
holds a patent that can be claimed as Essential. The most any standards
organization can do is govern the behavior of those who participate in its
work and publicly document the licensing commitment of all participants.

-Dave