incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject September 2006 Incubator Board Report
Date Tue, 19 Sep 2006 15:32:26 GMT
Since the last report, there has been significant progress made by
individual projects within the Incubator (below).

Traffic on general@incubator.apache.org has been significant, with
contributions and oversight by many ASF Members and Directors.  General
Incubator topics of discussion have included:

 - the pros and cons of using IRC as a communication tool
 - Specifications as a project type
 - Discussion related to governance and structure of the proposed
   JINI incubation, which has aspects of a specification and an
   implementation of the specification.
 - Establishing a Maven repository *just* for Incubator artifacts
 - Continued work on improving the Incubator documentation

One project, Felix, proposed graduation, and was asked to provide a draft of
the request that would come before the Board, and was also asked --- a bit
of a subtle change in how people have generally viewed releases from
projects in the Incubator --- to demonstrate a release, so that people would
be comfortable that they knew how to put out a release conforming to ASF
policy.  The Board should expect to see the request at the October meeting.

QPid (http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/QpidProposal) was accepted for
Incubation (actually, immediately prior to the August report).

Wicket (http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/WicketProposal) was accepted for
Incubation.

had 574 emails sent to the developer list and 905 email sent to the user
list! We have also seen a big increase in the amount of patches and
contributions submitted from non ActiveMQ committers.

A large amount of development work and community interest has been around
the Native clients used to access the Messaging broker. Tim Bish's excellent
work on the STOMP c++ client has earned him an invitation to become an
ActiveMQ committer. Amazon did a in house c++ client to ActiveMQ and that
source code donation was accepted and committed to the source tree.

All the source headers in the 2 active branches have be update to comply
with the new policies outline at:
http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html.

The Apache ActiveMQ 4.0.1 has successfully been released. For more
information about the release, see:
http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/activemq-401-release.html Development
continues on the next 4.1 release. In tandem, the 4.0 branch has continued
to stabilize and a 4.0.2 release should be ready shortly.

The project has discussed graduating and feels that ActiveMQ is ready and
would prefer to become a TLP. Once the 4.0.2 release is completed expect
more serious discussions regarding graduation to pop up on the incubator
mailing lists.

----

ADF Faces

The ADF Faces / Trinidad project solved lot's of todos. We repackaged the
software to get rid of adf inside the namespace. We also renamed some of the
JSF components. We managed to get a website and deployed it the the
incubator site. We created a first RC of our maven2 plugins, which is
currently under review phase by some Incubator PMC members. The size of
committers is grwoing. Added two new committers to the project during the
last three month. Users (or developers) action is much beyond from just
sending questions. Jira is a important fact of this community, where users
apply patches to. The community is still growing. In August we had 438 sent
to the developers list. In July it have been 266.

----

Cayenne

Finished tasks:

Finished switch to the ASF infrastructure.

Finished relicensing files.

Received CLAs from all contributors but Gary Jarrel

Released Cayenne 1.2 externally to Apache

Voted for a new PPMC member (member's acceptance is still pending)

Mentored 3 students as a part of Summer of Code

Switched the code to Maven

Had discussions with Geronimo project on JPA integration.

Scheduled:

Will rewrite those few pieces by Gary Jarrel to finish out IP issues, then

Will release Apache Podling Cayenne 2.0 in a week or two.

----

CeltiXfire

The CeltiXfire project is moving along quickly now. In the last few weeks
accounts have been created and the initial source code has been checked in.
The code is now under very active development. There has been lots of
discussion on the dev list between the different developers on several
topics including tooling, configuration, release packaging, and REST
support. We are currently working to define a set of criteria for our first
milestone.

In addition to coding, there has been some effort to get a website up and
going, but we're currently debating the best tools for the job. Also, we've
also discussed whether or not we want to change the name, but their has been
no clear consensus.

----

log4net

Work continues on the next point release containing minor bug fixes. We are
evaluating several enhancements that take advantage of the new features in
.NET 2.0. This raises backwards compatibility questions.

We have an open ended discussion on the use and storage of strong name
assembly signing keys. This may need further discussion at wider level, and
probably requires some sort of consensus amongst all the .NET projects.

----

Ode

There's been a lot of activity and progress on Ode in the past 3 months. We
all agreed on a codebase to start from (the former PXE) and refactoring has
been done to implement new integration interfaces between the engine and the
outside world. This allowed us to integrate Axis2 and ServiceMix as
communication layers (there've been propositions for an XFire implementation
as well) and to have a distribution for both.

The development is active and we already have something fairly complete and
stable. We're now working on including more tests and automatizing them as
much as possible in the form of a BPEL test gamut. Then tests could be
contributed quite easily by non-developers. We also have to change our
persistence layer to replace Hibernate with something more Apache license
friendly. OpenJPA has been mentioned several times. There's also an issue
around BPEL4W 1.1 license and patents that we need to clear out by checking
what is required by each party and address it on legal-discuss.

Finally, we need to start attracting more users by advertising ourselves.
We've made a very simple site so we also have to create more documentation
and build a "real" site. A user mailing-list has also been created. Once the
legal and licensing issues are cleared, we could also start thinking about a
first incubator release.

----

OFBiz

The OFBiz community has now completed all the tasks required by the
incubation process. Since the last board report, the following items has
been completed:

source code moved to the Apache Incubator SVN server (since 2006-07-01)

web site cleaned up and migrated to the Apache Incubator server (since
2006-07-02)

the collection of iCLAs is finally completed: we have now all the 74 iCLAs
needed to perform the license switch from MIT to ASL2.0; this task has been
a big challenge for the community

migration from MIT to ASL2.0 is now complete: the OFBiz project is now
distributed under the ASL2.0: all the OFBiz files have been updated to
reflect the new license, the NOTICE and LICENSE file are in the SVN
repository

With the above items the OFBiz community has completed all the mandatory
tasks for incubation: see the status page for details
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/ofbiz.html

----

mod_ftp

Work is progressing on updating the build system so that it is possible to
have it folded right into the 2.2.x or trunk version of httpd. The httpd PMC
is being contacted to determine where the module should go, since there is
currently discussion and debate on the concept of module "sub-projects" with
httpd.

We have an offer from Noirin Plunkett to convert the current docs to the
current httpd format. This is also something that should be done before
graduation.

In hindsite, the mod_ftp podling should have been in place just to do the IP
vetting, in which case it would have graduated long ago (this is how it
would have been done if submitted today). Lesson learned.

----

OpenJPA

The code arrived this quarter, and that helped the community as there's now
something to discuss.  :)  The initial code drop emerged from BEA and is now
actively being worked on.  There have been community discussions on new
features, documentation, and release numbering.  The community decided to
use cwiki and adding documentation for the project.

The community added two new committers (Kevin Sutter and David Wisneski) who
are actively committing code to the tree.

We are currently working with the Spring community to address integration
issues and to ensure that OpenJPA plugs into a Spring persistence container
environment appropriately. Work is also ongoing to build user-focused
release downloads and to integrate with the Apache continuous-integration
facilities.

----

OpenEJB
We've just heard from Matt who's a release manager for Apache Geronimo 1.1.1
that the last reason to keep OpenEJB at Codehaus had been cleared and we're
ready to move JIRA and repos to ASF.

Three new people have showed their interest in the code and started to
contribute - Mohammed Nour, Rick McGuire and Jay D. McHugh.

SVN as successfully been moved from Codehaus to Apache.

Jira migration is being coordinated. This will be a migration to a new
instance in ASF similar to Cayenne. However, we'd really like to run in the
main instance. To facilitate this, work on a Jira migration tool is also
underway. We hope that this will be useful to other projects migrating or
whom have migrated.