incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Podling Release Requirement (WAS: Re: [VOTE] Graduate Felix to TLP status)
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 18:05:08 GMT
Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> IMO the question is not about performing a release (which is high
> ceremony) but about  knowing how to perform a release that complies
> with ASF policy.

And, as I noted in my Felix-specific reply, over the past few years, we have
changed licensing, copyright notice, and other requirements at least twice.
Existing projects need to change, not just those in the Incubator.  All
Release Managers have to keep abreast of current ASF policy, and PMCs have
to ensure that they implement it properly, and check with the Board and/or
VP Legal if there are questions.

So the real question, in my view, is whether or not they demonstrate an
awareness that there ARE issues, and that they may CHANGE, and are being
RESPONSIBLE about making sure that what they do is in compliance with ASF
policy at the time.  Being a good ASF participant is about community, not
static rules compliance.

So, how do we go about deciding whether or not a given project has so
demonstrated this characteristic?  Do we need to make a rule for how we
determine it, or just make sure that the question is asked and answered to
our satisfaction?

	--- Noel