incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: Problem with commit rights on Celtixfire
Date Sat, 30 Sep 2006 15:36:49 GMT

On 30 Sep 06, at 10:09 AM 30 Sep 06, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Sep 30, 2006, at 3:57 AM, robert burrell donkin wrote:
>
>> On 9/29/06, Dan Diephouse <dan@envoisolutions.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Jim,
>>>
>>> Can you please explain what the criteria was for removing people
>>> from
>>> the comitter list? Can you also detail who was removed? Can you also
>>> explain why this hasn't been communicated to everyone on the dev
>>> list so
>>> far? And why I have only heard about the final decision third
>>> hand from
>>> this email and an offhand mention in Bo's email? I am OK with the
>>> PMC's
>>> authority as thats what I signed up for at Apache, but I feel
>>> that if
>>> they make such an important decision as this they should at least
>>> communicate the above.
>>
>> setting aside the particulars, this worries me from a process
>> perspective.
>>

> I will again defer to Jason van Zyl who was the prime
> focus of all this. Unless Jason responds by Monday, I
> will email a synopsis from my PoV. I will state however
> that from the get-go, I said:

I just got back from being on the road and wanted to be around and
prepared for the ensuing discussion. There will certainly be some
debate and I didn't want to throw the issue out and then not being
around to follow the discussion.

>   I would be somewhat hesitant about doing this via
>   a con-call. Certainly we can request a cxf-private
>   list that contains the mentors and the PPMC
>   members (see #2). The reason is simple: such
>   policy discussions should be archived, since they
>   affect the project and its future.
>
> One key question was "who is the PPMC". My interpretation
> is that the initial PPMC consists of the Mentors and
> the initial group of committers noted and agreed to
> in the proposal. Some had issues with that and said
> that the initial list of committers was "stacked".

Generally, I think there are problems with a number of proposals that
have gone in recently in that they deviate heavily from existing
notions of meritocracy. What's important is that going forward is
that the process is clear as I made assumptions based on how
existing, non-incubating, projects work and there seems to be a
discrepancy between how I feel projects should be initiated according
to Apache history and what some projects are doing or did.

At any rate the discussion was between the mentors so effectively the
PPMC for CeltiXFire. The thread was initiated off list but everyone
agreed to bring it on list and the onus is on me to put the message
forward because I think there are problems. I will fully disclose
everything and summarize to the list by Monday now that I'm back home.

Jason.