incubator-general mailing list archives

From David E Jones <jone...@undersunconsulting.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] OFBiz Test Snapshot Release: 4.0.0 TS3
Date Thu, 28 Sep 2006 09:52:33 GMT

On Sep 28, 2006, at 9:08 AM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> NOTICE should not have the list of licenses that apply - that's for
> the
> LICENSE file.
>
> NOTICE should contain any required informational notices required
> by those
> licenses.  For example, JDBM (the last entry in LICENSE) requires
> in Clause
> 5 that 'due credit should be given to the JDBM Project (
> http://jdbm.sourceforge.net/)'.  That's the type of entry that goes in
> NOTICE.
>
> HTH.  -- justin

Okay, I think I'm starting to see the distinction. I moved the
library list to the LICENSE file (not sure if it's needed there, but
it doesn't seem to be needed/appropriate in the NOTICE file.

I also started a section in the NOTICE file for the actual notices. I
threw in the JDBM notice at the bottom and left the place holders for
each other license as we determine which licenses do and don't
require such notices.

 From the license text it is hard to tell... Many of them do require
copyright notices or headers in source files or inclusion of the
license text, but if I'm understanding right none of those concerns
the NOTICE file, but rather the LICENSE file and the various source
files under those licenses.

The AL2 license mentions the notice file specifically, and sounds
like we need to go through ALL libraries we include and copy the
contents of their NOTICE files to our NOTICE file... Is that correct?

For other licenses are there any phrases to watch out for, or is
there a list of license compliance guidelines in any of the ASF
documentation?

The updated LICENSE and NOTICE files are available here:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ofbiz/trunk/LICENSE
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ofbiz/trunk/NOTICE

-David