incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: Rat tool, Apache header and different file types
Date Thu, 28 Sep 2006 21:27:23 GMT
On Sep 28, 2006, at 9:20 PM, Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> My question is, should all these [source] files get the ASL headers?

All source files should have appropriate headers. If its apache-owned,
ASL-licensed source, it should have the ASL header.

> This would
> be a hard hit for the embedded JavaScript, CSS and HTML files. These
> will be served to clients using the Wicket framework, and the header
> will add to their download size. Is there an Apache policy for these
> files?

Yes: the policy is that they should have headers.

One option you have is to take the canonical source (eg the things
you put
in SVN), and then during the building of your "binary" distribution, you
"compile" that source, which might involve things like stripping
comments
(me, I love stripping some of the whitespace and comments from these
kinds
of files. Especially as a filter at the end of some (servlet) chain).

> I took the liberty of looking at the Struts 2 release, and they don't
> have license headers in the aforementioned files.

That's a Bad Thing(tm).

LSD