incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Fluoride
Date Sun, 10 Sep 2006 06:49:19 GMT

On 10/09/2006, at 12:48 PM, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>
> A few thoughts and questions...
> If this is a proposal for an open-source FeedBurner (I think
> somebody said that earlier), I'm for it - FeedBurner is ripe for
> some competition. :)

kind of.. it will have a similar feature set, but aimed at people who
like to have control of their own information on their own machines.

> I get the ping/poll thing, caching functionality is clear, but I
> don't get what you mean by "personalized URL", "source feed would
> then be adjusted", and "all external links would be personalized".

> I'm imagining some RSS/Atom feed with various items, absolute URLs
> to external sites/pages, the usual stuff, and I don't know where
> the personalized/adjusted bits fit in.  Could you please explain
> and give some examples?

sure.

most large sites use anonymous session cookies to track things like
page views/session, if the user is a return visitor, and clickpaths etc.

The problem/pain is happening  when you download a RSS feed into your
RSS reader that tracking information isn't transferred, and some
readers refuse permanent cookies, making it hard to determine (for
the publisher):
- if you are a first time visitor,
- if you read the website and the RSS feed or just the RSS feed,
- what you are reading in your RSS viewer (as opposed to clicking
through to the web page)
- how many RSS feeds you are viewing from the publishing site

personalized url's help a bit here. the idea is to have the
publishing site not offer a 'simple' feed, but to offer a unique one
which point's to our feed server.

eg.
on the page advertising the feed (eg http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/help/
rss/5262758.stm ) instead of displaying
http://newsrss.bbc.co.uk/rss/newsonline_uk_edition/northern_ireland/
rss.xml

it would display
http://newsrss.bbc.co.uk/rss/newsonline_uk_edition/northern_ireland/
rss/<anonymousid>/

so when people clicked on the link, they would subscribe to a unique
URL.
when the RSS/atom feed is fetched by the RSS reader the software
would know the anonymous ID of the user, tying the users web
browser to the RSS feed.

The next bit would be the actual XML returned. the links it would
provide the RSS reader would also have the anonymous ID embedded in
the links and other spots, so that when a user clicks on something it
would be able to associate the anonymous session id with the incoming
request.
There would have to be some UserAgent magic involved so that
aggregators like bloglines and planets  wouldn't be counted.

> I think you were the Lucene GData Server (Summer of Code project)
> mentor to Simon, and Simon is planning on continuing his work on
> that project within Lucene even after the summer.  Would that
> project and the one you are proposing not have a lot in common,
> both in terms of code/logic, as well as the context (serving
> feeds)?  If so, would it make more sense to implement this in Java?

I don't think it would have that much in common with GData. but I'll
take a look again

regards
Ian

> Otis