incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: what are required for contributing to release management
Date Wed, 27 Sep 2006 15:46:16 GMT
On Sep 27, 2006, at 3:10 PM, robert burrell donkin wrote:
<snips throughout/>
> it is very rare for a non-committer to act as release manager.

Yeah, I can't really remember ever seeing that. Of course, it happens
quite often that downstream repackagers aren't committers.

> if the CXF community really want you to manage the release, it would
> be possible to make it work.

I would think so.

>> > I hope I can contribute to CeltiXfire release management without
>> commit
>> > access and without being on PPMC. If for some reason that I am not
>> > qualified to contribute fully, then I will try to contribute as
>> much as
>> > possible.
>>
>> In my view, this is up to the PPMC for Celtixfire.
>
> +1

Yup. Its definitely possible to make useful contributions towards a
release without being on a (P)PMC or having karma.

> IMHO a PMC would need to consider why a person they trust to create a
> release is not trusted to make binding decisions.

+1

> however, a PPMC is a
> little different. the PPMC takes a while to bootstrap and it may make
> little sense to wait until it has.

I suspect it *does* make sense to bootstrap a PPMC before that PPMC
votes on a release. If you're not bootstrapped you shouldn't be doing
anything else. Can't quite understand what you're thinking of here.

LSD