incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] accept UIMA as a podling
Date Tue, 19 Sep 2006 20:52:47 GMT
On 9/19/06, Justin Erenkrantz <justin@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 02:07:33PM -0400, Garrett Rooney wrote:
> > Of course, the fact that you had to be explicitly asked to explain
> > what the project does in the mailing list discussion doesn't bode well
> > in and of itself.  My objection isn't just "your proposal is unclear",
> > it's also in part that you showed up at the incubator with a proposal
> > that was incomprehensible to anyone who didn't already know what your
> > project did.  If that's how you're marketing yourselves to a group
> > ...snip, snip, snip...
>
> Well, I think that's a little unfair.
>
> Your criticisms should be aimed at the mentors (Ian, Sam, Ken) - but I don't
> think it's fair to expect that people who are new to our community to
> understand how we work.  That's what the mentors are for.  If the mentor isn't
> doing their job, then take it up with them - not the people who are just
> learning who we are and how things work.

You can place the blame wherever you like, but it seems to me that
basic stuff like "A proposal should explain what the project is used
for" isn't too high a bar to expect when people walk in the door.  If
a mentor is required to explain that, then that seems like a warning
sign to me in and of itself.

-garrett