incubator-general mailing list archives

From "J Aaron Farr" <fa...@apache.org>
Subject Podling Release Requirement (WAS: Re: [VOTE] Graduate Felix to TLP status)
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:22:24 GMT
On 9/13/06, Justin Erenkrantz <justin@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
> On 9/12/06, Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org> wrote:
> > As Leo pointed out, 'codebase quality' is not a graduation criteria. And
> > (hopefully) with Upayvira as the initial PMC Chair, I am not worried that the
> > PMC will overlook release requirements. If ASF Members feel that to be a
> > concern, they are both free to monitor and participate in the PMC work.
>
> My concern has nothing to do with 'codebase quality', but asking for a
> demonstration that the Felix community understands how to conduct a
> release that meets the ASF's criteria.
>
> If the community produces a release that is perfect on first shot,
> great - they're truly ready to graduate.  If not, well, then, they'll
> learn from those mistakes and once they can produce a release that
> meets our criteria, then they'll be ready to graduate.
>
> Remember that a major task for a TLP is conducting a release.
> Therefore, it's reasonable for the Incubator PMC to ask for proof that
> they will execute that task successfully rather than taking it on
> blind faith.  -- justin

And I'm fine with that.  I think it's a good idea for Incubating
projects to do at least one release before graduating.

My concerns are:

1) The policy regarding podling releases has never been explicit and
always been conflicting

2) Let's not (again) fall into the trap of changing the requirements
of graduation (or entry for that matter) on a vote thread

So could we move these discussions to a new thread?

--
  jaaron