incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: Preparing to release an incubator POM
Date Sun, 10 Sep 2006 08:57:04 GMT
On 9 Sep 06, at 5:48 PM 9 Sep 06, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> On Sep 9, 2006, at 5:48 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

>>> What about using 'incubator' or 'incubator-parent' for the
>>> artifactId
>>> (instead of just 'parent')?
>>>

>> incubator would probably be the best
>
> I have no strong preference, this just seemed tautological as the
> groupId is already org.apache.incubator

My rule of thumb is generally "be able to tell exactly what it is by
looking at it". I don't want to have to open a text editor to know
exactly what it is. Just like I don't want to have to crack open the
manifest of a JAR to see exactly what it is. Given that proviso maybe
"apache-incubator", or "apache-incubator-podlings". Though we don't
have a guideline for parent POM naming I generally use the project
name as all the other artifacts in the project are an extension of
that i.e. maven-core, maven-artifact ...

>>> Other examples are the top-level 'apache' pom,(which you might
>>> want to
>>> define as this pom's parent, if only to show the project hierarchy,)
>
> I thought it was better not to do this as this pom is intended to
> be used as a parent by podlings which do not have official Apache
> project status. Maintaining a distinct hierarchy seemed clearer.
>
> With this in mind, how about "podling-parent" for the artifactId?
> --
> Jeremy

Jason van Zyl
jason@maven.org