incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Preparing to release an incubator POM
Date Sat, 09 Sep 2006 17:30:04 GMT
On Sep 9, 2006, at 10:12 AM, Craig L Russell wrote:

> Hi Jeremy,
>
> On Sep 9, 2006, at 8:53 AM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:
>
>> On Sep 8, 2006, at 7:23 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Jeremy,
>>>
>>> Thanks for doing this. I think it's great for podlings to get a
>>> leg up.
>>>
>>> I'd like to understand where this POM is documented so that
>>> podlings can use and understand it.
>>>
>>> Just a link to the incubator web page that tells podlings what
>>> they need to do to use it would let me see how it is intended to
>>> be used, and to refer podlings to it.
>>
>> I would suggest the projects page:
>> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/projects.html
>
> This page doesn't appear to have any information on how to use the
> POM you are setting up.

No, not yet - that was the suggestion on where it would go. There's
some work needed (for example, I don't think that page is even linked
to off the nav) in addition to just documenting it.

As a jump start, what a podling would need to do is add a section to
their maven pom like:

<project ...>
  <parent>
     <groupId>org.apache.incubator</groupId>
     <artifactId>podling-parent</artifact>
     <version>1</version>
  </parent>
  ... rest of podling's original pom ...
</project>

Their project would then inherit settings from this POM in the normal
Maven way, the interesting ones being:
* the location of the download repositories for podlings (snapshot
and incubator)
* the location of the upload repositories for the podlings (snapshot
and incubator)

--
Jeremy