incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: PPMCs [was Re: what are required for contributing to release management]
Date Sat, 30 Sep 2006 15:51:11 GMT

On 28 Sep 06, at 12:59 PM 28 Sep 06, Garrett Rooney wrote:

> Well, PMCs are formed by the board when a project moves to top level
> status.  PPMCs are formed for an incubating project, and exactly how
> that works tends to differ a bit between projects.  Some mentors start
> off with just the mentors on the PPMC, and then invite project members
> as time goes on (or that's the impression I've gotten).  Others just
> start with the whole group of committers plus the mentors on the PPMC
> (that's what we did with Abdera).

I think starting with the mentors is the wisest choice as at that
point any committers can be brought aboard if deemed fit. So that can
support both models as all committers can be brought aboard if it
fits, or over time if more suitable. I was also confused about this
as I heard one thing from Noel and one thing from Jim, but the
mentors deciding seems sensible as projects can be dealt with on a
case by case basis. I don't believe committers should automatically
be made (P)PMC members as to me it's a different level of
understanding and commitment.