incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Graduating a part of an incubating project into an existing TLP
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2006 21:52:16 GMT
Hi,

There's recently been interest within both the Graffito and Jackrabbit
communities to graduate a part of the incubating Apache Graffito
project, an object-to-content mapping tool called Graffito JCR
Mapping, into a part of the Apache Jackrabbit TLP. This move would
both allow the Graffito project to better focus on the higher-level
Graffito framework and bring the mapping tool development within the
larger JCR developer community in the Jackrabbit project.

I'd like to get feedback on how to best achieve this. Is there already
an example on something like this having been done? Any good advice?

Our current plan is to first make an incubating release of the mapping
component to formally review the codebase and to have a clear and
working baseline dependency for the Graffito framework to use until
the mapping tool gets integrated in the Jackrabbit release cycle. Once
the release is done, we'd vote in both the Graffito PPMC and the
Jackrabbit PMC to move the codebase and to bring the mapping tool
developers in as Jackrabbit committers, conditional to approval from
the Incubator PMC. Finally we'd ask the Incubator PMC to vote for
approval of this partial graduation.

Would this work in terms of the Incubator policies? Do we need some
other steps along the way, or can we streamline the process somehow?

BR,

Jukka Zitting