incubator-general mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: what are required for contributing to release management
Date Wed, 27 Sep 2006 10:41:43 GMT
Bozhong Lin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I previously posted email on cxf-dev, I am very keen in contributing
> to CeltiXfire release management and other project management related
> stuff. From the Apache release process document [1], I am not sure what
> qualification/requirements it takes to get the release management job done:
> 1. Does it require SVN commit right? I don't have CXF commit right yet
> (working toward it :-), would this be a problem?
> 2. Does it require some one to be on PPMC?
> 3. Signing release. According to my knowledge, ASF needs to meet
> in-person whoever will be signing release. I am willing to make the trip
> meet ASF person in US.
>
> I hope I can contribute to CeltiXfire release management without commit
> access and without being on PPMC. If for some reason that I am not
> qualified to contribute fully, then I will try to contribute as much as
> possible.

In my view, this is up to the PPMC for Celtixfire.

Basically, doing a release is the central responsibility of the PPMC,
and they cannot delegate the decision to someone outside of itself. Nor
can they delegate the work of signing the release (that to my mind
wouldn't make sense, as the PPMC is vouching for its integrity).

However, if those on the PPMC wanted some help with the actual process
of preparing the release - testing, building, etc, that is up to those
PPMC members, and maybe there is some way you can help there.

Does that make sense?

Regards, Upayavira