incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Tomcat's servlet code in Felix (WAS: Re: Podling Release Requirement)
Date Tue, 26 Sep 2006 14:20:50 GMT

> Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>
>> It also seems that Felix has forked Tomcat's servlet code - which is okay:
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/felix/trunk/javax.servlet/src/main/java/javax/servlet/GenericServlet.java
>>
>> However, the copyright years have been altered from the original file
>> - removing 2004 and adding 2005 - which isn't okay:
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/servletapi/branches/servlet2.3-jsp1.2-tc4.x/src/share/javax/servlet/GenericServlet.java
>>

>> (Ideally, Felix should resync with Tomcat once they update their
>> license block to remove the copyright years; but Tomcat may not be
>> updating Servlet 2.3.  I'm unsure if an ASF project can relicense
>> forked code from another project - I'll ask on legal-discuss@...)

I am a little confused as to the exact solution to Felix' use of
Tomcat's javax.servlet code.

The reason why the copyright was changed is because the subproject is a
derivative work based on Tomcat's javax.servlet 2.4 code. The subproject
downgraded javax.servlet 2.4 to 2.1, which is the version used by the
OSGi HTTP Service. BJ Hargrave did the downgrade and said he used the
servlet 2.4 code because it was licensed under Apache license v2, where
servlet 2.3 and older was under Apache license v1.

Because servlet 2.1 is required, I doubt there will ever be a re-syncing
of code with Tomcat.

So, what is the appropriate thing to do here? Leave the header unchanged
or to change it? If we are not supposed to change it, then we can easily
revert to the old header, but it seems misleading since we modified it.
If we are supposed to change it, then I imagine we should change it to
reflect the header at http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html.

Clarification is desired.

-> richard