incubator-general mailing list archives

From Thilo Goetz <twgo...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] accept UIMA as a podling
Date Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:55:46 GMT
Garrett Rooney wrote:
<snip>
> I'm sorry, but I have to vote -1 based on my new policy of rejecting
> any potential podling that can't explain what it is that they do
> within the first paragraph of the proposal.  I'm a fairly intelligent
> person, but honestly I have no clue what "an architecture and software
> framework for creating, discovering, composing and deploying a broad
> range of multi-modal analysis capabilities" actually is, and I see
> little potential for any project that's so bad at selling themselves
> to actually grow a useful community.
<snip>

Garrett,

you're right.  Others have noted that our opening paragraphs are not
very clear.  We did however follow up with more explanation that
satisfied others on the list.  Are you saying that these further
explanations are still not clear, or that those explanations should go
into the proposal itself (as opposed to a link from the Wiki)?

UIMA may not be the easiest thing in the world to explain, and I can
accept that our proposal doesn't do a very good job.  However, I do
believe that we address an important problem and can make an interesting
contribution to Apache.  Making the first couple of paragraphs of the
proposal more understandable should be a surmountable problem.

--Thilo