incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] UIMA (Unstructured Information Management Architecture) Framework
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 17:28:46 GMT
Hello, everyone.

In conjunction with our proposal to Apache for the UIMA framework, we
have submitted a Charter to develop a community based standard for the
UIMA Specification (not implementation) to OASIS (www.oasis-open.org).
OASIS is a standards development organization with a good track record
for developing and promoting open standards around many things including
XML processing, SOA, document management and web services.

The UIMA Specification is intended to parallel the efforts of the
open-source UIMA Java Framework implementation. It  is a
platform-independent specification intended to facilitate
interoperability of text and multi-modal analytics across modalities,
platforms and frameworks. The Apache proposal for the UIMA framework
references this work, and would comply with this standard. (A rough
analogy might be the Apache web server as the Apache project, and the
HTTP protocol standard from W3C as the corresponding standards work).

If you are interested in developing the UIMA Specification standard, can
commit to participating in the technical committee and want to be one of
its "founding members", you can do so by following the standard OASIS
process for this.  The first step would be to become a member of OASIS (
http://www.oasis-open.org/join/categories.php) by October 5th (if you're
not already a member :-), and to let us know of your intent to be a
founding member; we already have four others from different
organizations/companies signed up as founding members.

On October 5 there will be an open Call For Participation to OASIS
members for participation in the UIMA Technical Committee. The founding
membership must be formed before October 5th.

-Marshall Schor