incubator-general mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Podling Release Requirement (WAS: Re: [VOTE] Graduate Felix to TLP status)
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:53:00 GMT
J Aaron Farr wrote:
> On 9/13/06, Justin Erenkrantz <justin@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
>> On 9/12/06, Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org> wrote:
>> > As Leo pointed out, 'codebase quality' is not a graduation criteria.
>> And
>> > (hopefully) with Upayvira as the initial PMC Chair, I am not worried
>> that the
>> > PMC will overlook release requirements. If ASF Members feel that to
>> be a
>> > concern, they are both free to monitor and participate in the PMC work.
>>
>> My concern has nothing to do with 'codebase quality', but asking for a
>> demonstration that the Felix community understands how to conduct a
>> release that meets the ASF's criteria.
>>
>> If the community produces a release that is perfect on first shot,
>> great - they're truly ready to graduate.  If not, well, then, they'll
>> learn from those mistakes and once they can produce a release that
>> meets our criteria, then they'll be ready to graduate.
>>
>> Remember that a major task for a TLP is conducting a release.
>> Therefore, it's reasonable for the Incubator PMC to ask for proof that
>> they will execute that task successfully rather than taking it on
>> blind faith.  -- justin
>
> And I'm fine with that.  I think it's a good idea for Incubating
> projects to do at least one release before graduating.
>
> My concerns are:
>
> 1) The policy regarding podling releases has never been explicit and
> always been conflicting

Originally we (the mentors) and even Noel had told Felix not to worry
about a release within the incubator:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-felix-dev/200604.mbox/%3cNBBBJGEAGJAKLIDBKJOPAEIPHMAC.noel@devtech.com%3e

So both mentors and the Incubator PMC Chair told these folks that a
release was not the primary objective for graduation.  We explicitly
told them *NOT* to worry about a release until after graduation.  And
graduation, we thought, was right around the corner.

> 2) Let's not (again) fall into the trap of changing the requirements
> of graduation (or entry for that matter) on a vote thread
>
> So could we move these discussions to a new thread?

Yeah good idea.  Let's start off by discussing whether we make at least
one incubator release a requirement for graduation?  I think if we're
going to hold it as a blocker before graduation we must make it a rule
to be absolutely clear.

Alex