incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] accept UIMA as a podling
Date Tue, 19 Sep 2006 23:03:43 GMT

On 20/09/2006, at 6:52 AM, Garrett Rooney wrote:

> On 9/19/06, Justin Erenkrantz <justin@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 02:07:33PM -0400, Garrett Rooney wrote:
>> > Of course, the fact that you had to be explicitly asked to explain
>> > what the project does in the mailing list discussion doesn't
>> bode well
>> > in and of itself.  My objection isn't just "your proposal is
>> unclear",
>> > it's also in part that you showed up at the incubator with a
>> proposal
>> > that was incomprehensible to anyone who didn't already know what
>> your
>> > project did.  If that's how you're marketing yourselves to a group
>> > ...snip, snip, snip...
>>
>> Well, I think that's a little unfair.
>>
>> Your criticisms should be aimed at the mentors (Ian, Sam, Ken) -
>> but I don't
>> think it's fair to expect that people who are new to our community to
>> understand how we work.  That's what the mentors are for.  If the
>> mentor isn't
>> doing their job, then take it up with them - not the people who
>> are just
>> learning who we are and how things work.
>
> You can place the blame wherever you like, but it seems to me that
> basic stuff like "A proposal should explain what the project is used
> for" isn't too high a bar to expect when people walk in the door.  If
> a mentor is required to explain that, then that seems like a warning
> sign to me in and of itself.

it was explained quite well in the initial thread.
you forget the people who propose a technology are sometimes
intimately versed
in it, and it is sometimes hard for people to know at what level they
should pitch
a proposal at as they don't understand what the basic level of
understanding is in
the crowd.

The people doing the pitch are used to talking to people in the
unstructured search
environment, people who understand what UIMA is about, and the terms
and phrases
that make it up.

It is similar to me attempting to put a project to describe a arcane
technology (eg a tool
to determine the risk and return of a portfolio using CAPM ) and
assuming people reading
the proposal understand the basics of portfolio theory.  To a person
with a understanding
of finance this wouldn't require any more explanation.
or take a proposal which implements Market Basket Analysis. To a
person with a data warehousing
background, this requires no further explanation.

The same goes with UIMA. To a person
with a understanding of unstructured search the proposal is clear.

Personally I look at some of the enterprise java proposals and have
no clue about them either
as i don't track the SOA/WS specs that closely.

The only mistake here is the initial proposal might have assumed that
people had a understanding
of the topic area.

> -garrett

Ian Holsman