incubator-general mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: What about Mime4J?
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2006 04:20:10 GMT
On Thursday 14 September 2006 01:45, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > I am curious to know how did Mime4J go from SourceForge to the
> > Apache James project, and apparently not passing the Incubator??
>
> It is a gray area, but when it was discussed the consensus was that it was
> the work of ASF Committers and being brought into the JAMES community as a
> separate codebase, but within a single community of Committers, not a
> separate project or sub-project, so it was done as an IP Clearance.

Thanks, but IIRC even IP Clearance takes a route through the Incubator, and I
can't recall seeing anything about it. And as Justin pointed out, I can't
find any mentioning of it anywhere...

It also brings some questions about the "mail size limits" as the original
commit (r167904) didn't make it to the James commit list[1] since it was too
large, hence any large commit can go fairly unnoticed. Instead
of 'discarding' large mails, could ezmlm 'chop it down' to a smaller size??

If this happens in James, where the Incubator PMC Chair is active, alert and
well-informed, how many other projects do the things that are not proper??

Cheers
Niclas

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/james-server-dev/200505.mbox/browser