incubator-general mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] UIMA (Unstructured Information Management Architecture) Framework
Date Sun, 10 Sep 2006 02:22:31 GMT
Having finally read all the emails related to this proposal, I'm very much for this "puppy"
entering ASF and eventually getting it going with Lucene and friends.

A few questions.
1. What you are proposing for ASF is the UIMA 2.0 code that currently lives on SF, correct?
2. What about the SDK, and could you tell me/us what's in the SDK that is not in the SF code?
(I'm confused, because your proposal includes references to tools for development and design
of UIMA components, but doesn't that typically live in an SDK?)
3. I'm a bit puzzled why something that sounds like a framework/pipeline for hooking up components
with pre-defined input/output adapters ends up with with a 400 page user guide/book.  Perhaps
I should present this as a question.  How come?  Or is that user guide for the SDK only?

----- Original Message ----
From: Marshall Schor <>
Sent: Saturday, September 9, 2006 8:00:57 AM
Subject: [PROPOSAL] UIMA (Unstructured Information Management Architecture) Framework

Hello everyone,

I'm restarting this thread on the Unstructured Information Management
Architecture implementation (UIMA) framework, in the hopes of moving
this along better; this time it also has the prefix [PROPOSAL] which I
had left out due to over-excitement at doing my first posting to this
list :-) .

Please consider this proposal  (on the incubator wiki because it is
quite long: ), and help us
move it along toward getting it voted on by the Incubator PMC.

Two important clarifying emails (as well as the whole previous thread)
can be found here:
(These are also hyperlinks in the wiki to these at the end of the first
small section.)

Yonik Seeley wrote:
> On 8/26/06, Thilo Goetz <> wrote:
>>  From an application perspective, we have great hopes for a cooperation
>> with the Lucene project.
> Great, I think this is something I'd like to get involved in!
> I've been thinking about how Solr integration could work.
>> You then also need a search engine that
>> can index that extra information and make it available for search.
> Without getting into too much detail here, some info could be
> immediately usable by Lucene based apps (like entity extraction, where
> you can add info via a new field in the document).  Parts-of-speech
> type of stuff is currently more difficult of course.
> -Yonik

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail: