incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: what are required for contributing to release management
Date Thu, 28 Sep 2006 12:15:22 GMT

On Sep 27, 2006, at 6:30 AM, Bozhong Lin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As I previously posted email on cxf-dev, I am very keen in
> contributing to CeltiXfire release management and other project
> management related stuff. From the Apache release process document
> [1], I am not sure what qualification/requirements it takes to get
> the release management job done:
> 1. Does it require SVN commit right? I don't have CXF commit right
> yet (working toward it :-), would this be a problem?
> 2. Does it require some one to be on PPMC?
> 3. Signing release. According to my knowledge, ASF needs to meet in-
> person whoever will be signing release. I am willing to make the
> trip meet ASF person in US.
>
> I hope I can contribute to CeltiXfire release management without
> commit access and without being on PPMC. If for some reason that I
> am not qualified to contribute fully, then I will try to contribute
> as much as possible.

In the ASF, the PMC (and the PPMC) is the entity responsible for
releasing s/w. In fact, it is one of prime responsibilities of
the (P)PMC, since it's the release of s/w and its distribution
which the ASF, as a legal entity, is worried about.

As such, only the (P)PMC can release it, and therefore a person
in the (P)PMC is required. Now you can certainly help the
release manager (RM), but *they* are responsible for the
release, and they need to do the work.