incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: [doc] call for feedback for http://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html
Date Thu, 21 Sep 2006 09:42:02 GMT
On Sep 18, 2006, at 11:13 PM, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html is currently a
> draft document. i think that it's strong enough to push towards
> promoting it (and putting it in the indexes).

+1. Good work.

> but in particular please reply with feedback about:

Besides "yes, put it live", its hard to come up with actually useful
comments...

> 1 presentation (is the way the content presented easily digested and
> understandable?)

To me, yes. But I'm not the best candidate. Ideally you'd want some
feedback from someone new to this incubation thing...hey you, list
lurker, speak up :-)

> 2 commentary (is the commentary on the template generally too long,
> too short or just about right?)

I think its good to keep the commentary reasonably short (like now).
People need to do their own thinking, and each proposal is unique.

> 3 examples (would more examples and/or long examples improve the
> document or (conversely) are the examples too verbose at present?)

I think there'll always be some information relevant about some
project that doesn't quite fit the template. That's the one example I
missed as being "explicit" (even though you mention the debate-y-
ness). If we have some reasonable example of a project where a non-
standard question was asked and answered maybe an excerpt of that
discussion could be included.

> 4 style changes (blue for notes)

*shrug*.

Finally, perhaps the "background" section at the top could be
expanded a little. Things one might spell out could be

    * proposals are not set in stone. Things can change later as the
software evolves.

    * target audience. The "target", I guess, is not just the people
doing voting, but also the people that might be helping out or using
the software in the future. Proposals to the incubator do generate
attention and they can be a good start to finding more people to work
with.

cheers,

Leo