incubator-general mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: [VOTE][policy] policy neutral clean up for policy document, phase three
Date Wed, 30 Aug 2006 20:31:25 GMT
On 8/30/06, Yoav Shapira <yoavs@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,

(grouping together a couple of related issues)

> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-41 cut unnessary preamble
> > [ ] +1 Approve
> > [ ] +0
> > [ X ] -0
>
> I don't think the preamble hurts, and it provides readers with the
> useful notice that the document they're reading may be incomplete (as
> it's guaranteed to become over time).

<snip>

> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-44 cut discursive
> > material better handled in the guides
> > [ ] +1 Approve
> > [ ] +0
> > [ X ] -0
>
> Like Craig Russel's comment on the JIRA issue itself, I find this
> material useful.  If it's better handled somewhere, fine, but let's
> provide a link to that better location here.

the policy document is RTC. this means it's hard to improve or keep
information up to date. the discursive material also makes it hard to
see what the policies actually are. discursive material also is much
more likely to become outdated than policy.

i think that it would be much better to move the discursive material
to CTR documents (and in particular into the new longer more
discursive guides) leaving pretty much just minimal statements of
policy in the document.

(hopefully anyone disagrees with this approach will jump in)

but it's probably that i'll overstep the mark in some cases. i'll have
a think and add some comments to the JIRAs.

- robert