incubator-general mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: incubation process for open development open source projects
Date Mon, 07 Aug 2006 16:40:16 GMT
On 8/7/06, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:

> On Aug 7, 2006, at 6:37 AM, Leo Simons wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Aug 06, 2006 at 09:05:13PM +0100, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> >> the process is democractic - graduation is by election
> >> requirements are assessed democractically
> >
> > please stop saying democratic -- its a specific kind of
> > meritocratic, with
> > merit only measured for things done within/for apache -- eg mr
> > Gandhi hasn't
> > accumulated a lot of merit here at the ASF, even if he has
> > accumulated a
> > lot in the rest of the world, so he doesn't get a binding vote.
>
> Democracy is also limited by some criterion (geography, citizenship;
> in the past and often in the present the limits would also be based
> on class and gender), so mr Gandhi wouldn't get a vote in New Zealand
> general election either, while an ASF committer who has been idle for
> a year still gets a binding vote on her/his project at ASF.

+1

> So while I understand what you are saying, this explanation seems
> off, and the difference lies elsewhere. Meritocracy has everything to
> do with how you get (and stay) on the voter list. The voting part
> overlaps with democracy (as everybody who's in have an equal vote).

+1

it is perfectly possible to have meritocracies which are not
democractic. for example, appointment to a position may be on merit
but then that person alone takes decisions alone.

apache uses a democratic decision making process (one elector, one
vote) with (what we hope is) a meritocratic system for enfranchisement
(rather than a universal one).

- robert