incubator-general mailing list archives

From "sophitia que" <sophitia...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IRC Channel?
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 18:30:20 GMT

> Eelco Hillenius wrote:
>
> > Public IRC, free for anyone to join, at a channel that is 'officially'
> > published/ promoted however, does.
>
> No it doesn't.    It's exclusionary in that email allows timezone
> independent participation, and IMO, reading an IRC chat after the fact
> is far different than being there.  It's like reading a musical score -
> far different than being there.

My concern with IRC is that people don't necessarily have egalitarian access
to IRC, whether it be because of time zone differences or for other
reasons.   For example, I have worked at places where IRC access was
prohibited or restricted.   If a great deal of community bonding occurs
through IRC, then some people do not have the ability to participate, and
that doesn't seem to be very egalitarian to me.  An analogy would be that
face to face interactions are also far more marginally beneficial towards
building relationships between people. However, we'd never advocate that
face to face meetings be a suggested method towards encouraging project
communication.  It's great when it happens, but it should never supplant the
main means of communications.

Susan