incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Yoav Shapira" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [policy] Ethics and Project Names - discuss
Date Tue, 29 Aug 2006 12:33:28 GMT
Hi,
+0 on ethical criteria in general as long as they're very clearly
defined: it's very easy to get into gray areas because what is or
isn't offensive and what is or isn't "established" is subjective.  I
don't necessarily want to go down the route of having Wikipedia-like
guidelines (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:WEB for example as the
guideline on notability), but I'm afraid that might be necessary.
Even your first cut at this name guideline, which looks well
thought-out and articulated, would instantly be the the most
legalese-sounding[1] thing on the incubator web site most likely.
Legalese = a bad thing in my mind...

However, strong +1 to a name acceptance being required as an entry,
not exit, criteria.  We should be able to find a name together on
general@incubator before starting incubation.  The name is the
identity, it's a key bit of data, and downstream decisions (mailing
list names, SVN repo names, publicity around the project, etc.) all
incur additional work or overhead if the names change.

Yoav

[1] Legalese for those unfamiliar with the expression:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legalese#Legalese_and_the_plain-English_movement