incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Eelco Hillenius" <eelco.hillen...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IRC Channel?
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 17:27:40 GMT
>  The community learns about each other in a shared, non-exclusionary
> method. Private Email/IM/IRC does NOT foster that.

Public IRC, free for anyone to join, at a channel that is 'officially'
published/ promoted however, does. Like I stated earlier, I actually
believe that since we started supporting the logged IRC channel -
which usually has about half of the active committers and about 15 -
30 users online at any given time - that our list traffic got more
focussed and thus more valuable for following/ accessing the archives.

I'm not arguing email should not be the preferred method of
communicating, just that IRC is a valuable additional communication
channel which imho is very suitable to open development.

Eelco