incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Cliff Schmidt" <cliffschm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Project Naming (was Re: [VOTE] Accept Glasgow into Incubator)
Date Sun, 06 Aug 2006 21:07:20 GMT
On 8/4/06, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@opensource.lk> wrote:
> IMO the reason this naming debate hasn't been settled is because of the
> way in which the change from Blaze to Glasgow was achieved: it was done
> privately and the result was announced here.

hmm...sounds like we should have some docs that suggest that the
moment a group of people proposes a new project for incubation (if
they don't already have an existing open project mailing list), they
should use the general@i.a.o list as their pre-project discussion
list.  When any question about the proposal comes up, all proposed
committers (10-20 of them) are encouraged to have their own discussion
on our lists to work out what they'd like to do.  Might even be better
to say that the moment a few of them have an idea for the proposal,
they should use our general list to discuss the proposal drafts before
proposing it to us.     ;-)

I have no doubt that every committer of every proposal I've ever been
involved has understood the importance of open discussions on apache
lists once the project starts.  However, I think most of them have
hesitated to use apache lists for project-specific discussions before
their proposal has even been accepted (other than to respond to
concerns/questions from the incubator community).

> We're *such* a whacky bunch.

indeed, we are.

Clif