incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Cliff Schmidt" <cliffschm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Blaze and Openness of Standards (was Re: [Proposal] Blaze)
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2006 16:58:23 GMT
Just as I was posting the vote thread for the Glasgow project, I saw
Noel had updated the new wiki page with a concern about the name
collision with the old Sun codename for their JavaBeans Activiation
Framework (see http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/GlasgowProposal?action=diff&rev2=2&rev1=1).

I already mentioned that I didn't see this as a problem earlier in
this thread and didn't hear further concerns, but am repeating this to
be extra clear.  There certainly is no registered trademark for it and
the "unregistered use" of it appears pretty dead.  I'm partly basing
this off of Craig's post:

> For just a moment, I thought you were serious.
>
> JavaBeans Activation Framework, 1999.
> JavaBeans Drag and Drop, 1998.
>
> If Glasgow were really a software name to be worried about, I think
> we might have heard more of it in the last 6 years...

Cliff