incubator-general mailing list archives

From robert.j.gr...@jpmorgan.com
Subject Re: Glasgow - community? specs? other issues?
Date Sat, 05 Aug 2006 17:31:05 GMT
Let me try to address your concerns.

> And as far as the openness of the spec itself - this is, too, an issue.
> I will continue voting -1 until we really determine that - unlike JCP -
> we can have a no-NDA scenario with respect to TCKs etc.  And that,
> unlike Oasis, the implementation is covered by the grants, not strictly
> the spec.  And, ideally, that IP grants under the ASL will cover those
> participating in the spec from future problems; that the spec itself will
> not be entirely corp-based; and worse yet, that horridly offensive
> language is modified in the project proposal/charter.

There is no NDA with respect to TCKs. What made you think there was? In
fact, there is currently no TCK, which is something the AMQP group needs to
address and I am sure they will address. The AMQP group is only a few
months old and has many things to address.

I am not sure what you mean by "the implementation is covered by the
grants"? Are you referring to the TCK?

I am also not sure what you mean by "IP grants under the ASL will cover
those participating in the spec from future problems". Can you expand on
that please?

Anyone can join the specification group, you just have to demonstrate
merit. There is a legal issue that people need to get their employer to
sign a declaration that basically says they are not going to sue other
members of specification group. The reason for this is that most people
work under a contract that states that everything they produce belongs to
their employer - even if they do it in their own time. If an individual can
demonstrate that they do not work under such a contract then I am pretty
sure there would be no requirement for them to approach their employer.

I believe that the language you objected to in the proposal was simply
poorly worded rather than deliberately offensive and that it will be
modified.

Robert

This communication is for informational purposes only. It is not intended as an offer or solicitation
for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument or as an official confirmation of any
transaction. All market prices, data and other information are not warranted as to completeness
or accuracy and are subject to change without notice. Any comments or statements made herein
do not necessarily reflect those of JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates.

This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential, legally privileged,
and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information
contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Although this transmission
and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect that might affect
any computer system into which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the
recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by JPMorgan Chase
& Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as applicable, for any loss or damage arising
in any way from its use. If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact
the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format.
Thank you.