incubator-general mailing list archives

From robert.j.gr...@jpmorgan.com
Subject RE: Blaze and Openness of Standards (was Re: [Proposal] Blaze)
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2006 22:51:00 GMT
I agree that the debate on the name is not a useful discussion. If nobody
else has a problem with the use of proper nouns in general can I suggest
that we move back to discussing the more significant points raised by
others?

Regarding the openness of the standard and its processes, I would like to
reiterate the point Gordon Sim made about treating the protocol standard
separately from the Glasgow implementation. There are several other
organisations involved in the AMQP standard - the organisations and people
who are working on Glasgow are only a subset of the AMQP group.

I personally am in favour of the technical protocol discussions taking
place in public mailing lists, but neither I nor any other member of the
Glasgow project can speak for the AMQP group as a whole. We can put a case
forward for the lists to be made public and the members can vote to decide
whether to adopt that proposal.

Robert

                      "Larry Cable"

                      <lcable@bea.com>         To:       <general@incubator.apache.org>

                                               cc:

                      04/08/2006 18:12         Subject:  RE: Blaze and Openness of Standards
(was Re: [Proposal] Blaze)
                      Please respond to

                      general

If "Apache" is acceptable for the name of this organization then
I see no reason to waste anyone else's time on a rather pointless debate
regarding the appropriateness of naming this project 'Glasgow' or not.

FYI, as a point of historical interest (and it's not that interesting),
purely as a 'comment' on the Microsoft practice of naming their O.S
releases after cities, we named a couple of releases of JavaBeans
'Glasgow' and 'Edinburgh', mostly because Graham Hamilton and I were
from Scotland.

Regards

- Larry Cable
by email and then delete it.

This communication is for informational purposes only. It is not intended as an offer or solicitation
for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument or as an official confirmation of any
transaction. All market prices, data and other information are not warranted as to completeness
or accuracy and are subject to change without notice. Any comments or statements made herein
do not necessarily reflect those of JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates.

This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential, legally privileged,
and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information
contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Although this transmission
and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect that might affect
any computer system into which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the
recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by JPMorgan Chase
& Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as applicable, for any loss or damage arising
in any way from its use. If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact
the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format.
Thank you.