incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Jini : Separate Governance and Implementation Projects
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 04:50:07 GMT
Bob,

What is your concern?  Can you please try to be simple and specific about
it?

For example, what if we created jini-spec@i.a.o and jinn-dev@i.a.o?  Forget
the question of "how many podlings" --- I am simply talking about a list
related to specification work, and a list related to implementation.

Is that a starter?  And if we have them both under a single podling to
start, and we see how it goes, does that work for you?

I do believe that it is likely that you will eventually want two projects.
Why?  Because of the governance structure used at the ASF.  All members of
the Project Management Committee get equal votes, and veto ability on
technical matters.  Consensus based development and maintanence of specs in
an open forum is perfectly viable.  But development of specifications
differs from development of code.  The former requires a long term view, a
mindset towards stability, and probably MORE ability to create a stable
consensus than the latter.

But if we start with the mailing lists separate and the source control
split, which seems natural from what everyone is saying, I expect that the
governmance issue will sort itself out in due course.

Thoughts?

	--- Noel