incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <>
Subject RE: Jini : Separate Governance and Implementation Projects
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 22:56:08 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> > if we start with the mailing lists separate and the source control
> > split, which seems natural from what everyone is saying, I expect
> > that the governmance issue will sort itself out in due course.

> Like a subproject?

Uh, no.  Our governance model does not recognize the concept of a
sub-project as a separate unit of governance.  And I don't know why you
would suggest that I was thinking of a sub-project when the paragraph
immediately preceding started with:

> > I do believe that it is likely that you will eventually want TWO
> > Why?  BECAUSE OF THE GOVERNANCE STRUCTURE used at the ASF.  All members
> > the Project Management Committee get equal votes, and veto ability on
> > technical matters.

Emphasis added.

So it seems to me that we're largely in agreement.  The open question
appears to be whether to start with one podling and possibly split, or start
with two and possibly merge.  Either way, separate lists and source control

	--- Noel

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message