incubator-general mailing list archives

From Brian McCallister <bri...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal for a new incubation project: Unstructured Information Management Architecture - UIMA
Date Fri, 25 Aug 2006 18:11:15 GMT
On Aug 25, 2006, at 4:07 AM, Leo Simons wrote:

> What does it *do*?

I believe it is basically a big, pluggable, harness for analyzing and
annotating streams of arbitrary data, if this is the same thing I
talked with a bunch of folks about (including Martin, I believe) a
couple years ago at Hawthorne.

I think it actually grew out of a real need in the research community
- lots of cool tools were being built to do unstructured information
analysis and none of them could be used together.

-Brian

ps: I may also be totally wrong. My guesstimate is based on a couple
hours of conversations a few years ago.