incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Cayenne IP Clearance status: 4 icla's not obtained
Date Wed, 02 Aug 2006 04:31:20 GMT
On Aug 1, 2006, at 1:21 PM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> Cayenne has obtained ICLAs for all committers, including retired
> committers. They have also obtained ICLAs for any who submitted
> patches
> -- with the exception of 4 patch submitters whose contributions were
> minor, trivial, reworked or broken [1] ([1] is also included down
> below). 6 files/classes are involved and an example of "trivial" is at
> http://tinyurl.com/o9vpk [2].
>
> Is this sufficient? Or does something more need to be done?

A new file is not a trivial addition, even if it is simply filling
in a template.  A change only qualifies as trivial if it is a simple
fix to an existing file (i.e., what the lawyers would call a "repair"
as opposed to a new expression).  I would just delete the one example
of a trivial new file, especially if it doesn't work anyway. Also,
"reworked" doesn't change the IP -- it just adds to it.

It matters more how the IP arrived into the project.  If the patches
were all published by the original authors to a public list or bugzilla
with the stated intention of being included in an open source product
under non-copyleft terms, then that should be sufficient for the ASF.
We just need to record the point of origin.

....Roy