incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <>
Subject Re: IRC Channel?
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 05:52:47 GMT

you can either acknowledge that some people prefer to use IRC
to communicate, and accept that while it isn't the best medium, or
the one
you would choose, it is the one that group prefers.

you can try to stifle their choice, and force them to use something
isn't natural to them (in this case a mailing list), in which case
they will just think
of the ASF as a bunch of old timers who like red-tape. (and leave)

I personally would prefer an established process for IRC be developed so
groups can use it. maybe getting one of the participants to blog
about what happened might work.
(because like or not, they are going to use it).

As for the time difference.. poppycock. I'm probably one of the most
people here timezone wise, and mailing lists can be just as bad, with
entire conversations
started and ended while I sleep. (even board meetings are set up at
2AM my time)

I don't think we (the ASF) need to support the weakest link of the
chain either. if a member
can't access a project due to limitations of corporate policy or
timezone, we should be OK with that too.
not every member has to be able to participate in a project. as long
as the project is healthy, I'm not
sure what the problem is.