incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Hurley <Jim.Hur...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Jini : Separate Governance and Implementation Projects
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 21:36:34 GMT
On Aug 15, 2006, at 4:46 PM, Jukka Zitting wrote:

>> I'm not convinced the goal in the past was to have multiple
>> implementations, vs allowing multiple implementations.
>
> I think the interpretation of this goal underlies both the naming and
> standard issues. In essence, does the Jini community see the project
> being proposed as *the* Jini implementation or as *a* Jini
> implementation?

Hi Jukka-

I'm not going to try and pull a Bill Clinton with "it depends what the
definition of "is" is".... but I'd answer that I believe the Jini
Community
views the project as *the* Jini implementation.

But *the* as in:  "the main", "the original", "the most prominent",
(what will be)
  "the Community's implementation", and "the one you'd recommend a
developer
go grab to get going with Jini". But not *the* as in "the only".

I view it as being/becoming *the* Jini Community's touchstone (or main
commons).

Don't know if that helps.

-Jim