incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject [policy] incubating projects and maven repositories v1.0
Date Sun, 27 Aug 2006 16:44:58 GMT
Hi,

It looks like people objected to creating another mailing list for
policy so I just used [policy] as Robert did in a previous message.

Henri has setup Maven repositories for the incubator and there is a
document which is an attempt to describe the current setup here:

http://www.apache.org/dev/repository-faq.html

I think that everyone agrees that a separate repository for
incubating projects is a good idea as

1) you can clearly see what incubator artifacts have been created
2) we can perform analysis and create reports for incubator artifacts
easily (using Archiva, the maven repository manager)
3) separating the administration duties of the incubator repository
is a good idea I think. This might involve a different instance of
Archiva and/or different people looking after the respective
repositories

I haven't looked at all the projects using Maven in the incubator but
cxf, the one I'm most involved with, looks like its settling on
versions like:

2.0-incubator-SNAPSHOT

So the repository is clearly separated, and from a dependency element
in a Maven POM you can clearly see it's an incubator version.

There was discussion that incubator repository would not be sync'd to
the central repository but I don't really see much point in this. A
few folks with incubating projects have voiced concerns that they
don't want to see their projects be taken out of circulation in the
central repository because they are incubating. If each and every
incubating project has a version for each artifact like that above
then it will be fairly clear that it's from the incubator. Moreso
then if you just had a repository definition pointing at the
incubator repository.

Also someone may make an repository request to place an incubator
artifact in the central repository and at this point a policy
mandated here would conflict with someone's right to redistribute
artifacts created in the incubator. I don't really want to get into
the business of policing repository requests. I think it is in the
best interests of the  incubating projects to have the incubator
repository sync'd to Maven's central repository. The source of
artifacts for incubating projects is clear from the version so I
don't think there will be any confusion by consumers of these
artifacts and as such I don't really see any downside to allowing the
sync to Maven's central repository.

Thoughts?

Jason van Zyl
jason@maven.org