incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: Setting up a Maven 2 repo Was: Maven 2 repo for incubating project releases?
Date Fri, 18 Aug 2006 15:49:22 GMT

On 18 Aug 06, at 11:30 AM 18 Aug 06, Dan Diephouse wrote:

> Yeah, I find this a bit confusing too. The ibiblio repository
> distribution policy is unrelated to Apache's. No one is making any
> claims on ibiblio about  the licensing (other than its freely
> distributable)/community/etc - I mean, come on, there are
> sourceforge binaries on there! :-)
>
> Also, Guillaume makes a good point, anybody create upload requests
> for ibiblio. Why couldn't I go make an upload request for any of
> the incubating projects? You don't have to be a project coordinator
> to get jars uploaded. It only needs to be a freely distributable
> binary.
>
> I'm +1 to creating the repositories and its a very necessary first
> step, but I think things should go further.

I think in terms of physical separation on Apache infrastructure this
is a good thing so that we could run the repository manager on that
separate repository to get stats on incubator artifact activity.
Project using Maven in the incubator can specify a set of
repositories to use so it wouldn't be onerous to have artifacts be
pulled from the incubator repository. But I honestly don't think
there is much downside in syncing to Ibiblio but I suppose that is a
decision for the Incubator PMC to decide. That is probably the thing
to clear up.

> - Dan
>
> Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>> What is the real purpose of such a repository if it is not synced
>> to ibiblio ?
>> What if a user of an incubating project create an upload request ?
>> There's no reason why Apache internal policies would affect such a
>> request.
>> AFAIK, Ibiblio repository is not owned by the ASF ...
>>
>> Jason van Zyl wrote:
>>> +1

>>> Jason van Zyl
>>> jason@maven.org