incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Jini : Separate Governance and Implementation Projects
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 17:19:52 GMT
Hi Bob,

On Aug 14, 2006, at 8:17 AM, Bob Scheifler wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> However, we do have a chance here to host the governance and spec
>> process for JINI.
>>
>> Therefore, I'd like to propose that we create two podlings, one
>> for JINI
>> governance, and one for building the implementation and community
>> around
>> the working code that has been proposed.
>
> I'm extremely reluctant to start out with two podlings.
> I'm not sure what "governance" you have in mind beyond the spec
> process,
> but I don't believe we have sufficient commitments from people to keep
> an equivalent of the existing Jini community standards process going
> forward.  I think our best shot at success is a single podling, which
> maintains both specs and code under a single development process.
> (And as such, the specs would no longer be "standards".)

This is an interesting turn. The Jini web site doesn't currently say
anything like this. It talks about "the specification" and "the
implementation" as separable pieces.

If the desire is to abandon the notion of a standard specification
and work on Jini as an implementation (the "standard" being whatever
the implementation ends up doing) then I agree that one podling
should be sufficient.

I wonder if others in the Jini community have this same objective?
Would it make sense to update the jini.org web site once consensus is
achieved?

This is a pretty important step, probably equally important as your
decision to use the Apache License for Jini. I don't want to impose
any arbitrary barriers to acceptance into the Apache incubator, but
I'd like to see a wider discussion of abandoning the "standard".

Craig

[1] http://www.jini.org/wiki/Category:Introduction_to_Jini