incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: IRC Channel?
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 06:30:31 GMT

On 15/08/2006, at 4:16 PM, Danny Angus wrote:

> On 15/08/06, Ian Holsman <lists@holsman.net> wrote:
>
>> I don't think we (the ASF) need to support the weakest link of the
>> chain either. if a member
>> can't access a project due to limitations of corporate policy or
>> timezone, we should be OK with that too.
>> not every member has to be able to participate in a project. as long
>> as the project is healthy, I'm not
>> sure what the problem is.
>
> Ian this attitude disturbs me, don't make the mistake of thinking that
> the ASF is big enough to  be able to afford to start excluding
> valuable people and/or groups on the grounds of technology alone.

It's ok to be disturbed. While you see it as being exclusionary, I
think of
it as moving with the times.  IRC is a more interactive method of
communication
and has a faster feedback mechanism than email does, and from my
experiences
is easier to express yourself on (leading to less misunderstandings)

we are talking about stopping people using what they are comfortable
with just
because we have a few people who don't like it. (who aren't even
directly involved
in the project). Thats exclusionary to me.

> Start making it harder, or more complicated, for people to participate
> and they *will* leave.

my point.. IRC is what they want to use.

> I don't see why email, as the lowest common denominator, is not
> perfectly fit for the purpose.

because it isn't. just like a dial-up modem, while perfectly fit for
the purpose is no longer used.
actually email isn't being used that much locally either... SMS or
Skype/IM is what I use most when
I want to talk to people.

> There is no reason why people can't carry on other forms of
> communication, but in order to keep the community alive we should want
> to include in the debate everyone who has something to contribute.

we disagree.
the community will just grow in a different direction, with other
people joining it via IRC
sure some people might be disadvantaged by this, but others will be
advantaged.

as long as governance can be maintained I don't see why we (the ASF)
should care.

--Ian