incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Specifications as (part of) ASF projects (was RE: Too many licenses? Was: [vote] Accept Glasgow)
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2006 01:41:25 GMT

On Aug 15, 2006, at 5:23 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Yoav Shapira wrote:
>
>> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>> I would put forth a strawman that the "Editor" role is at least
>>> somewhat analogous to the "Release Manager" for code.
>
>> there's a big difference: a release manager does not modify other
>> people's work (e.g. the code), only packages it.
>
> The Release Manager would also be a Committer, and can therefore
> modify THE
> work.  Not "other people's" work.  All work is OUR work, and all
> changes
> approved by US.  Collectively, not individually.

This is very similar to the Editor's work. A [spec] editor is the
vehicle through which the will of the author (the community) is
expressed. If the author (contributor) is a tad unclear, the editor
will make "editorial changes" but does not actually create anything
except clarity. Of course, the person acting in the role as editor
might also have a role as contributor, but the roles are actually
separate.

Craig